Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Christian Left


When I was feeling most lost in my journey as a christian, I found a group on Facebook that spoke to my concerns and struggles in my faith.  The group is called The Christian Left and I feel they have brought me sanity.  I struggled with the condemnation for the LGBT community and the far rights's political stance on just about everything.  So, when I found this group, I felt I discovered people who thought like I do and they weren't afraid to speak out! I am so grateful for this group, it tends to be my spiritual reality check each day. 

This is the first post I saw today when I opened my Facebook feed.

Photo: Actually, what he said was more like love the sinner and worry about your own sin.
Actually, what he said was more like love the sinner and worry about your own sin.
 
I heard "Love the sinner, hate the sin" many times growing up in church and I even taught this when I was a youth leader but, as  I got older and after I had my daughters I felt there was more than the standard quips that left me feeling more lost than found. I wish the christian faith could take this to heart.  Didn't Jesus say in John 8, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone".  Don't we all have sin in our lives? But I guess it is easier to point fingers at others than it is to look deep into your own soul and realize you are not perfect and there are issues each of us must deal with personally.  
 
So I wish to thank The Christian Left for being there when I most needed them! For speaking sanely about love and justice in this world. 
 
Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment