Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Traffic in Lancaster County PA

A retired teacher friend of mine posted this on her facebook page. This is where I found God today. I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did!

We decided to take a ride to AC Moore today so that I could get some yarn to finish a crochet project that has been taking me longer than it should to complete. It is my first crochet 'project', so I am slower than slow. We take the back roads as much as possible, and consequently, we encounter more buggies. Today we got behind a buggy that obviously had a loose wheel. As we came upon the buggy on a very curvy road (most are around these parts), we noticed that the driver's side front wheel was coming lose, and tilting more and more as it went round and round. I was hesitant to pass the buggy in case the wheel gave way (it figures, I was driving). Paul wanted me to pull around and let the driver know he had a lose wheel, but I was afraid to freak out the horse.The driver stopped, and Paul jumped out to help. Our new friend, Daniel, the buggy driver, asked Paul to hold the horse while he tried to fix the wheel. It was tougher than it looked, the poor horse wanted to go! The wheel needed parts so Daniel, the buggy driver, hitched his horse up to the fence by the house where we stopped and hopped into my Mitsubishi Spyder and we went to four places, finally landing at a buggy repair shop for the correct parts. We drove once past where Daniel hitched his horse so he could check on it. I remarked that maybe the horse was wondering what happened to him. Daniel replied that he didn't think a horse wonders. Then we laughed! He is probably right, but his horse did miss him, I saw it in his eyes! While riding around Lancaster County, we had a delightful time conversing with Daniel. He has 6 children and 8 grandchildren at the age of 50. He has 50 cows and grows tobacco. We talked about the economic state of our country and how hard he is finding it to be a small farmer. We helped him fix the wheel...I kind of held the buggy still and Paul held the horse. Daniel wanted to give us money! We told him we were glad to help. Paul even told him it was fun...well he explained further...it was a pleasure to help someone in need and that he could repay us by helping someone else (yes, I am married to someone who speaks like that, I am so blessed!). We followed Daniel for awhile until we were sure that the wheel would hold. He wasn't far from home. I do believe that God puts you where He wants you, and we should hold each day and each encounter with others as an opportunity to connect and give of ourselves. I sure hope I remember to do that when I am driving in traffic!!




1 comment: